Saturday 3 January 2009

On the anniversary of the Excommunication of Martin Luther

It seemed a happy co-incidence that the 488th anniversary of the excommunication of Martin Luther should fall on the same day as the 3rd round of the FA Cup, and right in the middle of our experimental worship season.

So I was happy to see our expression of love overcoming differences, as Beaker Folk wearing the colours of Luton Town, MK Dons, Rushden and Diamonds, Liverpool, Man Utd and many others mingled happily at our "united in our divisions" service.  The exchange of handshakes, hugs and kisses during the playing of "All you need is love" was particularly moving.

It was in order to emphasise my total neutrality in all this tribal loyalty that I wore a referee's outfit.  However I did not expect to hear a song requesting information about my identity and casting doubts on my parents' marital status.  It wasn't big and it wasn't funny.

Please note that tomorrow's Pouring out of Beakers has had to be cancelled, due to freezing beakers. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl