Tuesday 30 March 2010

The Twittering Brethren

Having the time off this evening, I thought I'd go to a different fellowship's mid-week service for a change.  It's so nice, having the peace and quiet round the Community.  So I went along to the Twittering Brethren.

Now, I'll admit that I thought the Twittering Brethren would be a more Home Counties version of the Quivering Brethren of Cold Comfort Farm fame.  So I was looking forward to a good dose of doom, gloom and despondency for the evening.  But no.

No, it turns out far from being the shivering bunch of Calvinists I had expected, the Twittering Brethren are a Trappist order who have discovered they can get round their vow of silence by spending their lives on Twitter.  So although Brother Anthony can't talk to Brother Gerard using his voice, he can tweet his every spiritual thought into the twittersphere.  I enjoyed the silence of their community at Compline, but was surprised to see that it had been renamed to RT @Vespers.

Anyway, I was glad to leave in the end.  A couple of the more progressive brothers have moved on to Facebook, and Brother Wulfstan had just thrown a cow at Brother Edward.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl