Tuesday 27 July 2010

A letter

I've received a letter from Marjorie.

"Dear Drayton
I've been wondering where you got to since we - or I should say - I moved house.  So I am delighted and surprised to have found out your new address.  I can't understand how I managed to lose you in the move, but I'd like to reassure you that it wasn't just you - I also managed to mislay the second-best napkin rings - you remember, the silver ones?  You haven't got them, have you?
In the time that we have been married, I've always considered that your neediness, expressed as an anxiety for everybody to love you, has been matched only by your poor organisation skills and your need to push people around.  I'm therefore delighted that, by obtaining a job as a church leader, you've probably found something that matches your personality
 Since I discover that you are living in a house provided by the church, I reckon I can make some money by renting out my - I mean our - primary residence. I will therefore be arriving in Leicestershire with you shortly. Can you get the spare room ready.
Sincerely
Marjorie"


I can't express my joy. That my new calling in life should be supplemented by the return of the one I love! I am unsurprised by the apparently cool tone on the surface of her letter - Marjorie was never one to let great emotion show, except a certain amusement that day I trapped my hand in the car door.

2 comments :

  1. Please enter your blog in the Christian New Media Awards 2010 - www.christianblogawards.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be honest. I feel a certain pride at your kind invitation. But that pride seems to be something I should not cultivate. I will continue to tell my stories of shining light into the darkest parts of the East Midlands, in obscurity.

    but thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl