Friday 30 July 2010

Long and winding is the road

A good day's evangelism outside Asda in Thurmaston.

I say "good" as in once again I was treated like the prophets before me - moved on repeatedly, insulted by youths and generally ignored.

Although it is good to hunger and thirst after righteousness, I ended up in the McDonald's across the road, where a young man accosted me and asked if he could join our congregation. He said he was feeling like an outcast himself and thought I seemed like a kindred spirit.  Naturally I was delighted.

But it's only now I'm home that I realise the problem I've given myself.

You see, Arthur lives on the Melton Road. And he doesn't drive. So I promised that we'd pick him up.

We've found it's a great evangelistic tool. Quite often non-drivers who are fed up with walking to their current churches can be persuaded to join the BaptiBus, the old Transit we send round picking them up before the service.
Or that's the theory. In practice, by the time the Baptibus has been to Market Bosworth,  Wigston, Kibworth, Scraptoft, Melton Mowbray and Wanlip and got back to Frisby, we're already halfway through the second worship block of songs. If they have to add a call on the Melton Road, either Oz is going to have to set off at 7am, or  they're all going to miss the sermon as well.

2 comments :

  1. Obviously we can't have any of them missing the sermon. THose sinners definitely need the sermon, maybe twice. Hope you can come up with a plan. 7AM is early, but is worth it if the only other option is missing the all important sermon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could record a few choice sermons onto a cassette and play it to the happy capt, sorry, passengers as you joyously trek through the hinterlands.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl