Saturday 4 September 2010

The Ecumenicabus

I have had a disappointing and saddening experience.

I was out for my constitutional and I was walking past the Presbytery, when I saw had appeared to be Oz's minibus heading out of the Catholic Church's driveway, with what looked like most of his Baptibus regulars in tow.

The St Aidan's Social Club, attached to the actual church, isn't a building I have frequented before - but on this occasion my curiosity had to be satisfied. I walked in, re-introduced myself to "Father"* Francis (who was standing behind the bar, enjoying a pint of Guinness) and asked what he knew of Oz and his associates.

And Francis told me that the "Catholibus", as they call  it, has been ferrying Catholics from around Leicestershire to Saturday evening Mass for months.  Unfortunately, according to Francis, they are often on the late side, but tend to arrive just about the time that he pulls the shutters up on the bar.

So between Francis and me, we have worked out that Oz and his bus are basically going out on a motorised pub crawl every Saturday and Sunday, and while Oz doesn't get to have a drink he is raking in expenses at 40p a mile from myself and Francis and - I believe - charging his friends for the trip as well.

It makes me really righteously angry. I'd dis-fellowship the lots of them. But then - why should I let the Catholics have them?


* NB - I have put "Father" in inverted commas to explain that, while that's what he calls himself, it's not a title I recognise.

2 comments :

  1. I will notify my friends who prefer bar crawls on Saturdays to look for the Catholibus rather than the Sunday AM Baptibus. I think I can double the numbers for Father Francis. Know if they have a 2nd bus they could run? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the detail of putting "Father" in quotation marks. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl