Friday 3 September 2010

Not a great Beach Mission

I feel this was all my fault. You can pray, you can discern, you can plan. But if you don't check your dates you're not going to succeed.

I'd planned our beach mission with precision. And we headed down to the beach at Hunstanton today with jugglers, a puppet show, some serious amplification and my new audio-visual display, "If Gravy made the universe, who made Gravy?"

I'll be honest. That Gravy business was a mistake. I'd written up a response to the latest news from Stephen Dawkings in a hurry, and I'd missed the point completely.  Should have been Gravity, not Gravy.

And that was just my second mistake of the day - and, to be honest, the minor one. The more serious one was planning a youth-focussed beach mission to take place when the kids had all gone back to school. We attracted a certain number of old folk who were quite interested in the jugglers, and quite a few more who wanted to know what we had against Gravy, but that wasn't really what we'd been praying and hoping for.

And then on the way back we had the third mistake of the day. Sheila asked if we could call round to a little chapel of historical interest she knew, and not knowing anything about a place called "Walsingham" I said OK. We went in expecting a quiet little Baptist chapel and... well.  I passed out in the Chapel of the Ascension.  Let us just say I'm not going back.

All in all, perhaps the worst day in my experience of Friday evangelism. I'll stick to Leicestershire in future.

6 comments :

  1. The jugglers don't happen to be Kayleigh and Kylie do they? You gonna post some pictures of the upright & modest jugglers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. no. no. Norfolk needs you! :|

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jugglers, if you can read this in between changing browsers to vote multiply on my Bible Poll, are Syd and Queenie - The "Juggling Evangelists" - "Sixty years and never a fumble".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone has to stack the poll so I can complain about all the blue Bible lovers out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brother Miller!

    Shame on you! Why should anyone stack the poll for you?


    Just WHAT are you offering? Not that I would take it.

    BTW, I have five different browsers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bro muddleglum I have no offer other the joy of getting lectured by Revd Drayton Parslow for offending the integrity of his online blog. I've been regularly complaining that anyone carrying a blue Bible is clearly outside of scriptural commands, and then voting over & over & over again for the blue bible in his poll. You have 1 vote per browser, plus if you are bored sometime you can add a user account to your computer and that user will also have 1 vote per browser. I think I've voted like 50 of the 56 blue bible cover times to insinuate that there are lots & lots of blue bible fans reading his blog. His response this AM still has me giggling!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl