Sunday 10 October 2010

Shabby behaviour from the BBC

I was intrigued by BBC Radio Bloke Live this morning, and its phone-in to discuss whether Mrs Thatcher should receive a State Funeral. I can't think of anything more tasteless than doing this while someone is still alive. Well, actually, I can. But it's not the sort of thing I would want to share on a family blog, so I won't. But if any of you should bump into me I'll let you know what it is. Well - it's quite a long list of things actually, so if it's OK by you I'll skip the details when and if I see you. Apart from anything else, they're all pretty tasteless.

Sorry, where was I? Oh yes. To pad a morning's radio by organising such a phone-on when the subject of the phone in is still alive. For goodness' sake. I don't care whether you think Mrs Thatcher is the modern female incarnation of Genghis Khan, or a strange visitant from the planet Tor-E come to bring us peace and prosperity. Either way, she is currently with us, and about to celebrate her 85th birthday, and should be left in peace.

6 comments :

  1. Quite right... but you have got me thinking... what sort of funerals to Archdruids have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally speaking, their ashes are snuck into the environs of Stonehenge and buried while the guards ain't watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Archdruid,

    just what I would have expected from a middle-class, "let's be nice to each other" kind of community. Well done. You are doing your social class proud.

    Personally, I am waiting for the funeral so I can spit on her grave. I could not care less whether it's a state funeral or not, just as long as it takes place. Since neither new labour nor the new Condems are all that different from her, I rather think it'll turn out to be a state funeral, though. Surprising, incidentally, that the BBC, which has shifted more and more to the right, had the guts to ask the question.

    Incidentally, Chumbawamba has already produced a CD for the occasion of her death; you can sign up for it now and get it in the post once she has shuffled off this mortal coil.

    Cheerfully,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comrade Holger, will you please stop beating around the bush. Are you giving the keynote address at our "85 glorious years" tribute service or aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comrade Archdruid,

    I TOLD you: unless you incorporate a couple of good show-trials (1930s-style) with the possibility of exile in Norfolk, or at least some good public self-criticism (1960s style) as part of the liturgy, I shan't be coming.

    I would have thought that Hnaef would qualify admirably for either one of those liturgical options.

    Revolutionary greetings,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just hearing about this, makes me think how tasteless the 'living will' is.

    You say something, while in some sort of drug induced delirium and it suddenly becomes your last wishes!

    I much prefer the secrecy of the old fashioned paper, written will, held by a remote solicitor who pulls it out and reads it to the whole family after the funeral.

    Then you (as a fly on the wall) find out who your true family were by their astonishment and reactions on hearing that you have left everything to the Druids.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl