Wednesday 24 November 2010

The Lib Dem's lost Majority examined

Thanks for all those that emailed in asking if I had thawed out yet. The Archdruid said they had flooded in. Although admittedly she had that "in quote marks" look when she said it.
Anyway, while recovering from yesterday's near-hypothermia, I've been watching BBC 24 and listening - if that is the right word - to Twitter. And I've been doing some calculations.

I've assumed - and surely this is a reasonable assumption - that people tweeting or saying in interviews that they've been betrayed by Nick Clegg, or who  are otherwise angry with the Liberal Democrats - must be people who voted from them in the General Election.

And then I've made a certain allowance for bias in Twitter for clergy in the Church of England - who tend to be Liberal Democratic, possibly because they're used to making fantastic promises for the future without any real danger that anyone will listen to them. And aware that the current political situation is for a Lib Dem vicar akin to the Kingdom of God suddenly arriving on a Sunday morning in Advent, when you've just spent the last ten minutes of the sermon explaining that the Parousia isn't going to be a literal event.
And then I've extrapolated across the country.

My conclusion then, based on these assumptions, is that at the General Election, the Liberal Democrats won a  resounding majority.

And now I have a conundrum. Either there was widespread electoral fraud at the last election, on a scale
unknown outside certain banana republics. Or a lot of people are claiming to be angry with Nick Clegg, with no right to be  because they didn't vote for his party.

I don't like situations like this. They're hard to resolve, requiring an understanding of human nature that I have no right to claim. So I think I'll go and add up an asset register. That always soothes my mind.

2 comments :

  1. No bloody wonder I love reading this blog.

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should tot up your Gift Aid Registers and claim from HMRC before the Nick Clegg cuts that benefit as well.

    I have been struggling with mine all day, and I wish it would be made simpler, like, just send an invoice to HMRC and they pay up. But it needs reams of paper, spreadsheets and all of those things you love.

    Perhaps you could run a master class for us.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl