Wednesday 3 November 2010

Mythical Creatures Service - the Aftermath

Cultural sensitivity - especially when dealing with others' sensibilities - is so important. And what a lesson it was to us today, to think hard when choosing our hymns.

The Mythical Creatures Service had a certain tension after we sang "To be a Pilgrim". The Foul fiends and hobgoblins were pretty shirty, and the giant said that Pilgrim could come and have a go if he thought he was hard enough.  While I'm sure it was just a mis-hearing, but "I've got a gnome in gloryland" didn't go down too well either.




1 comment :

  1. This is just political correctness gone mad.

    What have the hobgoblins and fould fiends got to be worried about? That's what I want to know. I mean, in the song it says 'hobgoblin nor fould fiend shall daunt his spirit'. Well, why should they be upset if pilgrim isn't daunted by them? And what do they think they are up to anyway, wanderin' around daunting the spirits of respectable people who pay their taxes and all.

    As for giants; well I, for one, have had enough of them anyway. Coming over here, stealing our jobs. The sooner someone stands up to them the better is all I can say.

    Good on Pilgrim, I say. We need more good upstanding Englishmen like him and Saint George.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl