Tuesday 23 November 2010

St George's Day

I note that it is St George's Day in Georgia. Not in Georgia, US - but Georgia, Georgia. Lovely Georgia. No peace can I find. Just an old sweet song keeps lovely Georgia on my mind. Sorry, straying there again. No, the Georgians celebrate St George's day on 23 November - a full 6 months after everybody else.
I don't understand why they do it, and I'm not going to deny their right to hold St George's Day any day they want. We all have free will.  Or, at least, I'm made to think we do. But until they start celebrating St George's Day on St George's Day,  and not on St George's Day, as far as I'm concerned they're six months out.
Happy St George's Day.

3 comments :

  1. Anglican to the core- well said....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would really, really love the book "The Black Marble" by Joseph Wambaugh, especially the two first chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. The Georgians celebrate St. George five months before everyone else.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl