Monday 3 January 2011

King James on a phone: setting the record straight

First of all, I would like to emphasise that I do not, as Young Keith has suggested, "rail" at people in the pub. I am not unaware of the concept of inculturation, and particularly on evenings like this I apply myself to a careful use of the milieu in which I am operating. Normally I will mention to a pool player or two that the wood-burning stove in the games side of the bar is very hot. And then when they agree I'll tell them it's not as hot as where they're going.

And now onto the subject of Young Keith's phone. That he has the King James Version on it is in no way incompatible with true godliness, for surely our commission is to preach in and out of season, and to all nations. Indeed, I myself have a complete download on my mp3 player, which I shuffle in with a few metrical psalms for light relief. Nor is there any objection to Keith's phone having other versions of the Good Book. Indeed, I consider the New International Version a fine introduction to the King James for anyone who is needing an accessible modern-language translation of God's real word. And even the Good News version is of godly use for people who just want to look at the pictures while someone else is reading the Authorised Version out loud.

No, the problem I had with Young Keith's phone is that, for reasons I cannot fathom, he showed me his  copy of the King James version expressed in Comic Sans font. Surely he knows that God insists on serifs - and, most perfect of all, a Gothic minuscule. Comic Sans we leave to the heathen.

3 comments :

  1. Can't be the work of God... the kerning is all wrong for a start, tut..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr Egbert J Twinkinson10:49 pm, January 04, 2011

    I don't usually involve my one (true) church in ecumenical endeavours, but I am prepared to make an exception for the project of wiping out The Font That Knows No Shame. Down with that sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl