Monday 23 May 2011

Decisive decision-making

Sometimes we can learn from history. Clearly, we learn best from that history we read in the pages of the Good Book. But other history also can have its uses. And today, in my "day off", I have been reading through the history of the last few ministers of my little congregation of Funambulist Baptists.

They all seem to have been men of God, holy and devout. And yet all, in the end, were asked to face a vote of confidence - and all failed to secure 50 per cent of the votes cast.

Mr Leyton Buzzard, my immediate predecessor, was put to the vote after his daughter was discovered wearing make-up in a built up area during lighting-up times. Which seems fair enough. But consider his predecessors.

In 1992, Mr Rose was thrown out by the congregation for being dictatorial. In 1995, Mr Cheshire was removed for failing to show strong leadership. In 1997, Mr Jones was considered too unambitious. While in 1999, Mr Arnold was voted out for trying to change things too much. In 2001, Mr Raynulf was removed for his lack of missionary zeal - but in 2003 Mr Eady, whose outreach doubled the size of the congregatioon, was rejected for neglecting his existing congregation's pastoral needs. Mr Roderick was removed in 2005 for his conservatism. While in 2007, 2008 and 2009 three successive ministers lost their jobs for failing to instil any stability.

I have kept my role here for several months - and with God's help may keep it for several more - but you do wonder how you could every keep the congregation happy. Not that that is my role - I am here to serve God, not Man - but how can I serve God as a pastor if I do not have the congregation behind me? And when I say behind me, I hope I can expect they will not be lining up there to take their turn to stab me in the back.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl