Saturday 7 May 2011

Great Quotations

We were much taken, in the aftermath of the death of Osama Bin Laden, by the quote from Martin Luther King that "went viral", as it is known, on the Internet:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Indeed, so touched were we that at this evening's meeting, those Beaker Folk that were still talking to each other had an informal sharing of the quotations that mean so much to us. And I'm glad to share them with you now. I think you'll agree, a deep and stirring quotation makes the world a more meaningful place. As Julius Caesar gasped on his deathbed, "Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."



"I'm just going outside, and I may be some time." -- Neil Armstrong

"On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia" -- Tom Hanks

"They don't like it up them." -- Bertrand Russell

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." -- Nelly

"D'oh!" -- Eric Cartman

"I have nothing to declare but my genius" -- Mark Twain

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be" -- Gordon Brown

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job"    -- George W Bush

"I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member" -- Fernando Torres

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Paul McCartney

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery." -- George Osborne

"There's one born every minute." -- Mahatma Gandhi

"What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" -- Elvis Presley

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." -- Richard Milhaus Nixon

"Yes, Jesus loves me - the Bible tells me so." -- Richard Dawkins

2 comments :

  1. Beats A Book at Bedtime any night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget Elvis's last words, 'I think I'm becoming a god'.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl