Sunday 8 May 2011

Tribalism

The Archdruid isn't usually a big fan of The Beautiful Game, but she really _hates_ Chelsea, so, on hearing that they have a game on this afternoon, agreed to a trip down to Cranfield club to boo them raucously.

Imagine her consternation when she discovered that their opponents are Manchester United. She detests ManU. I mean, really, really detests them.

So, she's swallowed her pride and is supporting the Blues, even if she can't bear to say any of their names. It's "go on, number 3, go in harder", and "ref, number 6 never touched him!". I never thought I'd see the day. Nor did guess that she knew some many colourful epithets to hurl at the match officials. The landlord has abandoned the swear-jar and charged all drinks to the Archdruid, who I expect will just expense them.

I hope it gives her a perspective on the harm that tribalism is wreaking in our Community at the moment. Or at least convinces her to issue shinpads to us neutrals. Seriously: a well-aimed effects pedal can do serious damage. And don't get me started on chicken wire.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl