Thursday 19 May 2011

You can't trust experts

We're very excited to read about Stephen Hawking's comments on religious belief and, particularly, heaven. And I realise that in one sense we're none of us very qualified to speak on it, except inasmuch as I might speak about, say, New Zealand - a place I have never visited, and which I only know to a limited degree through watching Lord of the Rings. And I did meet a  Kiwi once (I mean an inhabitant who was working in a bar in London, not the bird. Although, in point of fact, he was unable to fly and did have a long nose).

But I take Philip Treehouse's point regarding Hawking's qualification to speak on heaven - i.e. no more than anyone else's. Whatever Professor Hawking's qualifications in  physics (and I'm not convinced that string theory isn't, ultimately, unfalsifiable, and therefore as invalid as the unfalsifiable concept of "falsifiability" itself) - he's no philosopher nor theologian.

No criticism there, and he's entitled to his views, of course. So I'm going to be inviting a few more "experts in the wrong field" to see if they'll get involved in instructing others in areas outside their expertise. I was thinking of the following:

A speaker from the Church of England Synod on snappy decision making.
Stacey Solomon on Astrophysics.
Ken Clarke will be teaching a special "Lord Chancellor Level" in Law (this is preliminary qualification to GCSE).
The Beatrice 'n' Eugenie Millinery course.
Manu Tuilagi on "anger management"
Fred Goodwin on running banks (had to get a whole super-injunction lifted for that...)
Harold Camping on camping.
The leaders of the nation's train operating companies on how to run parties in breweries.
Gordon Brown on economics.
And I will be running a new community course on car maintenance.

It all promises to be great. But not necessarily too informative.

2 comments :

  1. What about David Cameron on making friends and influencing people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. UKV
    ...or even on getting it right first time?

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl