Wednesday 20 July 2011

Mendelian predestination

All the Mendelian genetics today has got a few Beaker people down a bit. Isn't it all a bit deterministic, they ask - if at the statistical level we're doomed to break out, as it were, 25% purple - 75% yellow - then what shall be shall be. Especially since once the die is cast our genes determine our behaviour and therefore our eternal destiny. Once again, there's a huge swing to the Calvinist view. And with an impressionable bunch like mine, within minutes they're dressed in black, going around with gloomy looks and planning to set up new Colonies in the New World.

But hang on just a mangetout-picking minute, I tell them. This may work at the statistical level but that's not the level you live at. Each of you is a complex throw of numerous genetic dice. OK, I'm not saying that's necessarily appealing for me. But then that's only my problem. After all, it's me that has to look at you. You don't have to look at you. Add in the random effects of ionizing radiation - that can tweak genes to new and unexpected outcomes. Or, to look at it another way, cheer up - there's a good chance you're all mutants.

Amazingly this makes them all much happier. Before I know it they're all wearing bright Arminian clothes, smiles have broken out and they're boldly demanding the right to make their own decisions. And I begin to wish I'd left them Calvinist.

I tell you, this kind of spiritual power is a real responsibility. But I'll try not to let it go to my head.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl