Sunday 31 July 2011

Meta-blogging

I read with interest a blogpost on eChurch Blog. But I'm not going to tell you which one. Yet it does make me reflect that some of the missives on this, our own humble corner of the blogosphere, that had the biggest response were about social networking and those that do it rather than the descriptions of normal daily life in the Beaker community which I more typically write.

It strikes me that there's nothing a blogger likes so much as blogging on blogging. And there's nothing a blog commentator likes commenting on so much as a blog post about blogging. Which I guess would accurately be defined as "meta-blogging" - blogging that describes blogging.

So, I suppose, in a slightly strange way, this is a meta-meta-blog post.

Now there's three ways of looking at this. One is that we're all gazing at each other's navels. And we all know how disconcerting that can get after a while. Another is that, like bacteria in a dodgy butcher's, we're living on the cutting-edge - so we're having to investigate and challenge what we do constantly, to understand where we're up to - a bit like rock songs that are about rock and roll.
A third possibility is that none of this really matters. I'm still going with the third, at the minute.

I should point out, in the unlikely event that anyone comments or links to this blog post, particularly if comparing it to another similar one, that they'll probably be meta-meta-meta-blogging.

9 comments :

  1. Last one down the navel please turn off the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, we are just waiting for someone else to reassure us that what we are doing is not a terribly foolish, trivial and narcissistic waste of time. That perhaps we should be writing books rather than blogging. Or chopping wood. Or hugging trees. Or bunnies! Or lighting tea lights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have people to chop wood for me. And hug trees and bunnies. I see mine more as a managerial role.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "they'll probably be meta-meta-meta-blogging"

    Would that be meta-cubed blogging, or thrice meta blogging...?

    Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a child many of us went through the phase of acquiring CB radios. This gave us the excitement of chatting to complete strangers, albeit within a fairly short radius. But one aspect of this fad really sticks in my mind. The principal conversation topic revolved around CB radios.

    We used CB radio’s to talk to strangers about CB radio’s.

    I mention this because it tickles me to remember the blogging parallel with CB radio’s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guilty! The navel fluff is piling up on the desk even as I blog.

    Greenpatches aka www.miffy.wibsite.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Phil. That's going to play havoc with the Analytics ;)

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl