Thursday 25 August 2011

Hysterical re-enactment

Young Keith asked me to help him with a reenactment this morning, so I said, "yes", as I've always liked the idea of historical reenactments. Mrs Hnaef won't let me join the Sealed Knot because "you'd hurt yourself, you'd get obsessive about it, and there's beer, though I suspect they call it 'ale'. And probably don't wash." So I jumped at the chance of doing some with Young Keith.

First, he asked me to lie down near my house. Then he drove a bull-dozer towards me. I got up. Quite quickly.

He told me to lie down again, but first to go and put on my dressing gown, because he'd forgotten that bit. I went and put on my dressing gown, he presented me with a cup of tea, and told me to lie down again. He then backed up the bull-dozer and drove it at me again. I got up. With, I might say, quite some alacrity for a person of my years.

This went on for a while, and there were quite a few Beaker Folk standing round and watching. Some, I noticed, were taking bets each time I lay down again and Young Keith re-started the bull-dozer.

Then the Archdruid came along with a video camera, and started filming the whole procedure, for "A Health & Safety Instruction Video". Or "just to see if he'll keep doing it", as I heard her mutter to Mrs Hnaef, who was also watching, and, I noticed, singularly failing even to try to stop Young Keith.

At this point, I got bored of the whole thing, and headed off to the White Horse for several beers. Young Keith, for some reason, had a packet of frozen beefburgers. Luckily, I had a towel.

Now - what's that in my ear?

1 comment :

  1. May I suggest that a pan-galactic gargle blaster will probably help you to forget this whole sorry incident!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl