Monday 5 September 2011

The blogs are going out (2)

Congratulations to Stuart of eChurch Blog for achieving number 1 in the Religion Blogs list from Wikio. Well-deserved - albeit I have not the faintest idea how Wikio ratings are calculated.

Which brings me to the strange phenomenon of this Blog being at number 4 in the ratings. Suffice it to say that we aren't the 4th most important religious blog in Britain, and I've no idea how it happened - particularly given the terminal death spiral of the visitor stats. So I'm guessing that we're actually in the position of being the Aston Villa of the British blog world - i.e. looking quite good relative to all the neighbours, while all the neighbours are heading south down the table. A month or so ago I was a British Blogging Decline Denier. But now I'm starting to think that, like the Northwest Passage opening, the evidence is piling up. Maybe everybody else is off to go to an interesting service, or changing the liturgical colours, or learning the new Catholic liturgy. But whatever else, they're doing they're not writing blogs and linking to each other.

Marston tells me it feels like the day a Neanderthal first smelt the change in the air that heralded the interglacial warm spell. Things still seemed OK, but under the surface the ice was moving. I look at Marston and understand why he could feel empathy with the Neanderthals. But I know what he means.

Nothing in all this, by the way, detracts from eChurchBlog. Well worth a read, and of interest in following the author's journey to Rome while commenting critically on current events through a Christian view point. Well recommended. But you'll be reading it already, of course.

4 comments :

  1. Congratulations from one whose blog has more-or-less gone out (except for the nearly new – in the sense of not much used one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done indeed!

    I've no idea how they measure it though (inbound links and traffic I expect), I managed 500th overall once but to reach the dizzy heights of sub 250 must fill you with a desire for advertising revenue... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, you're all lovely. But I re-iterate it's on declining stats. That's either because everybody was on holiday, or because the Christian blogosphere is in decline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh everyone was on holiday, Eileen. I'm just back and may never catch-up with the backlog of missed posts.... Well done anyway - your blog is one I always find time for :-)

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl