Thursday 1 September 2011

The Converted Chapel Concept

Sadly my latest business venture has suffered a setback. I've had my planning permission refused.

I've noticed the popularity of converted chapels on the housing market. And the numerous shows along the lines of build/buy/convert a house and you will be a happier, better, nicer person. Living in a converted chapel, clearly you have built-in "character" and substantially enhanced spirituality. And so I came up with my scheme. An entire housing estate built in the style of converted chapels. What could have more character? And the Milton Keynes expansion zone could do with an enterpreneur prepared to get out and do some building in these depressionary times. And all my "spaces" would be much cheaper to buy than real converted chapels, which have the inconvenient habit of being made out of proper building materials.

But no. Once again I have have been foiled by the machinations of council environmental departments. I can't see why they were so down on the idea - was it the plans for a replica of Westminster Abbey converted into a block of flats? Or the crematorium chapel? Or the bright idea of having one of the converted Anglican churches with its own graveyard and a working set of bells? Or the Stonehenge with the trilithons boarded up to form "authentic" Beaker studio flats? It looks like I  shall have to go back to the drawing board before the "Saints Estate" gets properly off the ground.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl