Wednesday 14 September 2011

No victims

I'm once again struck by the power of a Kirsty MacColl lyric. It happens a lot, and on this occasion it's that anthem to not being oppressed, "No Victims".
But I'm not tearing my heart out for you, dear
And when you wake up I won't even be here
Sod all your funny little ways
They don't make me laugh these days, anymore.
It's a story of sad realisation, sure. Not the prince-and-princess story we expect. Not a happy ever after, not a tale of perfect fidelity in a life-long relationship. But as an alternative to oppression and the-little-womanness, it'll do. We can't get itchy at every imperfect relationship - because that would mean every relationship we have with another, imperfect human being. But as a story of awakening - of not accepting a position of submission and second-best. You may not like it - I think it's a sign of hope.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl