Tuesday 13 September 2011

Tweeting during Sermons

Maybe a bit late to the party, but I've been reading the blog by Vicky Beeching regarding the use of social media in Church/Moot House/Religious Conference with a Groovy Hashtag (#RCGH11).

Now I'm as hip as the next person when it comes to technology. Especially if I'm sitting next to Marston Moretaine, who thinks that he hears "voices" when it's just the Archers on the radio. Whereas my family were among the first to get into 8-track cassettes, Betamax videos, Segways and Sinclair C5s. And I'm really looking forward to this Google+ thing taking off.

And of course Hnaef is even more technically minded than I am, with his Android tablet (although I really can't see how he's going to get that down, no matter how much water he takes it with). But I still thought overdid it during last night's sermon. He must have sent out thirty tweets musing on whether the Nativity of Richard Gatling was a suitable celebration for a peacable kingdom like ours, updated Facebook with exciting statuses like "is in the Moot House", "likes Messiaen" and "wishes Cafe Church had decent coffee". Uploaded some rather tasteful images of the tea lights and pebbles onto yfrog.  And wondered whether anyone would ever accept his invitations to join him on LinkedIn.

Which would, I suggest, have collectively been a little obsessive at the best of times - and very distracting for him. But we were all waiting for him to finish preaching. Three hours that sermon took. We didn't "like" him after that.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl