Thursday 17 May 2012

Guest Preacher - Geoffrey Boycott


The Parting of the Red Sea  (Ex 13:17-14:29)

Eee I remember that tour of the Middle East with t'Yorkshire squad. Brian Close were t'captain and Moses were team coach.  Well, people from Yorkshire have allus been the chosen people.....

The "Largo" from the "New World Symphony" may be played.

And you hear people today complaining about pitches favouring batsman - well, too right. It's all too easy in my opinion. In my young days we had to play on uncovered pitches. But that 1st Sinai Test - if tha's never played on a sea bed straight after a miraculous parting o' t'waves tha's never seen a spinning wicket.

Still, there were a bit of life in it for the quickies and all. Fiery Phinehas Truman made mincemeat o' the Egyptian lower order. And when it were our turn, Closey told me what with the sand, quails and manna about the place, I 'ad to try and 'ang on in there.

It's not everybody could play a forty year innings. Carried me bat. When Moses went for 120, there were only me left at the crease. And it's a shame the England youngsters can't manage that sort o' thing today.

3 comments :

  1. Ah yes...first Test Match against the Windies today....
    I can only suppose that the entire rhubarb crop had been devoured by locusts and that mother's pinny had been recycled as protective sunwear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Locusts? Don't talk daft. There were a plague o' ferrets, and then a plague o' whippets...

    ReplyDelete
  3. *chortle*

    Mind, Young Straussy did well, didn't he? Ok it's 'only' the WIndies (how are the mighty fallen!) but tell that to Cook and KP. I'm delighted that he got his Century, may there be many more.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl