Thursday 31 May 2012

I the Lord of Sea and Sky

Just remembering all those times (about every evening) when, while at Archdruids' training college, we sang "I the Lord of sea and sky". A hymn that has many advantages:
  • It sounds quite hymn-like. 
  • And yet it's quite modern.
  • It's stirring.
  • It's very challenging, and sounds quite evangelistic.
  • And yet it's got very little actual theology at all.
I, the Lord of sea and sky, I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin my hand will save.
I, who made the stars of night, I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them? Whom shall I send?
 
Now is it just me, or is the rational response - "Not that I'm ducking out of this in any way, Lord, but given the qualities you've just listed - do you feel maybe there's a better person for the job than me? Would it be more sensible if  I just stewarded or something?


11 comments :

  1. Archimandrite Simon11:15 pm, May 31, 2012

    Where's your evangelical fervour?
    You should be roaring out the refrain...

    Here I am Lord,
    Look at me Lord...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Archimandrite.

      You've just achieved "Waspishness level four!"

      Delete
  2. It just goes to prove: Jesuits are good at this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the Trappists. The Trappists get it about right.

      Delete
  3. The actual title of the SONG (not hymn) is Here I Am - I have a first printing of it in an old North American Liturgy Resources book (GP II). What is it that you Brits have to name religious music by the First Line?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And...and...it's scriptural -Isaiah 6 - so how do you say it's not theologically based? I am slighted as the used-to-be-good-Catholic that I was. Sincerely, your friend from American-church-of-too-much-music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, you'll have to forgive me if I'm a bit slow this morning - only I'm being distracted by that sobbing noise that's still issuing from Young Keith.

      I presume you're referring to Isa 6?

      Delete
    2. Indeed. Hopefully you can still hear your thoughts over the sobbing

      Delete
    3. I would note that in Isa 6, the prophet sees God enthroned in majesty, realises his own unworthiness and has to have his lips seared with burning coal before he is able to speak the holy words. And they are words of judgement, not comfort. Not yet.

      Whereas "Here I am" gives me the image of a cosy West Hampstead liberal, brushing the compost from his hands after potting up the new aubergines, ensuring his wife is busy with the Aga,then going off to hold God's people in his heart without any self-doubt as to whether his heart is such a great place to hold them. No suggestion that the response to "is it I, Lord" might be anything other than "Yes".

      I'm probably getting old and grumpy.

      Delete
  5. So, did Isaiah write the Hymn? Given that is found in an ancient book of church music.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl