Thursday 4 July 2013

A Sarcasm Detection Tool

Dear Readers, such excitement!

Now that Eileen is no longer with us, Acting Archdruid Charlii has been carrying out some "minor tweaks" to the organisational structure. In fact, she has appointed Young Keith as the new Treasurer, in order, as she put it, to "find out where the bodies are buried." This seemed fruitless to me - as I pointed out, that sort of job is more suitable for a sexton or fosser, and we do not have such roles in the Beaker folk. However, when I said this Charlii hit me with a lacross stick. It is good to see that she is already adapting to the role.

Naturally I wondered what my role would be. But now I am freed from the financial burdens I have carried, Charlii has given me the role of "Social Media Consultant." I confess I have no idea what this means, but apparently I can now spend more time blogging.

So I am particularly keen to point out this article I discovered on the BBC website - whereby somebody has invented a machine to detect sarcasm on-line.

Apparently some people say things they do not really mean. This is normally an attempt at humour. although it can be an attempt at deception. So armed with this shocking discovery, I read through the article with new eyes. I note, for example, that " A spokeswoman for the Home Office said she should not comment at this time."

Well, she would say that, wouldn't she?

You see - I've got the hang of it already!

1 comment :

  1. Splendid, splendid. Another of the wonders of technology.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl