Friday 11 April 2014

The Cost of a "Liberal" Conscience

The "Liberal" in inverted commas because I've never thought of Vicky Beeching as liberal. Liberals are, for me, people who think God is a metaphor, who sing poor hymns with folky tunes that were written in the 1960s. Whose first reaction on reading a passage of Scripture is to wonder what other, less interesting, meaning the writer really intended. None of which applies here.


But the article is a reminder that espousing an opinion that is regarded as "liberal", "progressive" or, to some, "heretical", has its costs as well:

So the cost of me speaking up about equal marriage is, essentially, my salary. Hopefully that emphasises that I am not just ‘appealing to culture’ or ‘trying to be popular’ as many conservative Christians are concluding.
Note to Liberals - Vicky Beeching's music is much better than "Lord of the Dance".  And you might learn something about God from it. 'Nuff said.

1 comment :

  1. I see the (a?) woodwose has got at the second link. It's amazing the sustenance they can draw from truncating FQDNs.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl