Saturday 21 March 2015

Fracas at the Food Bank

Our Beaker Food Bank has been getting increasingly popular. I'll be honest, I never realised that there were so many needy people around on the Beds/Bucks borders.

And our clients have always been so grateful. Many of them have kindly done odd jobs in the garden, a bit of litter picking, bits of painting, electrical wiring, putting in our new computer network, our auditing - little bits of help.

Received a letter today from the Revenue. Apparently what we call "charity", they have decided to redefine as "aggressive tax avoidance". I'm outraged. How dare they imply that a senior accountant with a local firm is not as entitled to use our Food Bank as some scruffy poor person?

And they call this the Big Society? Cameron's Broken Britain more like. I'm going to start a petition.


1 comment :

  1. I'm wondering if you're heading for a fall. I warned you that reclaiming VAT on jobs being carried out by a volunteer gratis wasn't a good idea :(

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl