Monday 18 May 2015

The Right Questions to ask to Feel Good about Yourself When you're at a Talk

I'd like to thank Prof Streeg Streegsen for her information and interesting talk, "The right questions to ask to feel good about yourself when you're at a talk".

The question and answer session afterwards was very exciting. I've summarised the questions below.


Burton Dasset: "Professor Streegsen, I feel that your subject is closely related to something in which I have a particular expertise. Let me tell you about double-entry book-keeping for 20 minutes and then see if you agree."

Hnaef: "The question of how best to ask a question to make yourself good when you come to a talk is to determine - what do I think I'm achieving here? Is one setting out merely to open up the discussion - to give the lecturer the chance to expand on what they have said, to illuminate some particular corner of a subject? To explain what maybe you have not quite comprehended? Or are you hoping to determine the veracity of different angles of truth - which may be to beg the question, as a famous man once said, „Ugyan, mi az, hogy igazság?” Or do I instead reach for some of the thoughts of the Greek philosophers - a group of people whom, as we can all agree, knew all about asking questions to make themselves look good?"

Chelveston: "I'm sure you are familiar with the work of Dr Tils Tilson, of the University of Copenhagen, and his concept of "Quantum lecture questions." So I have to ask the question - is this a question?"

Strongwold: "Prof Streegsen. You have managed to speak for 2 hours without condemning the outrageous behaviour of the Scottish National Party MPs in brutally throwing an old man out of his seat in the House of Commons today. Are you saying you actually agree with this behaviour?"

Cheswode: "I used to be in the employ of the Civil Service. I can't tell you which branch as I would have to kill you, ho ho. And on one occasion we had to go to Basingstoke on a Quality Assurance survey to ensure we got the right weight of writing paper for the Head of Department. He was one of the old school, and had a particularly lovely fountain pen - a Montblanc  Meisterstück  he received as a gift when he got his "K", which it was essential he complemented with a paper of the current weight and absorbency. And I ended up in a presentation on the quality of writing paper by the then-Head of Stationery Procurement at the Department of Employment. I asked a stunning, witty question. I can't remember what it was now, but you should have been there."

Dansburgh: "I notice, like all the other people asking questions so far this evening, that I am a man. What do you, as a woman, think this tells us about the failure of feminism?



I didn't bother writing down the answers. There didn't seem much point.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl