Thursday 15 August 2019

The Assumption of Mary


I blow out the light before the icon of Our Lady, and wonder.

Today, the feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos. Or, as good Catholics put it, the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

And I believe in the Virgin Birth. Not because it suits any particular agenda of mine. I don't believe the God-Bearer is eternally virgin. Nor do I deny it. I don't want to say I don't care - because her relationship with Joseph was important to her, and her body was - well, hers. But it's an impertinence for me to demand anything of her - even to think of it. The Bible says she was a virgin when Jesus was born. I don't think that is critical to his being God or not. And because it is not critical - why shouldn't I believe it? But beyond that - that's her affair.

But today belongs to the other side of her pilgrimage. The girl who brought God into the world is now an old woman. She knows this place won't hold her any longer. But that doesn't worry her. Because she has seen beyond the Here and Today. Her womb has encompassed the universe. She has heard the carols of the angels that sang before Time. She has seen Life put to death - held Life's broken body - and then seen Death destroyed as Life broke back into the light.

She has carried the Word, given birth to the Word, held the Word and been filled by his Spirit.

And now, as her breath ebbs away, she sees. The sword that pierced her heart is finally withdrawn. As the apostles wonder, she fails. And, as she does, arms are held out. And she, who held him as a baby, she who held him broken at Golgotha - this time she is held in his arms. She falls, but is held up. She plunges into death, but soars upwards. She breaks through the waters of death, and she is safe on Jordan's shore.

And the arms that were stretched on a cross hold her. The one to whom she gave life, breathes life into her.

And the girl that was born to a broken race, is the Queen of Heaven.

3 comments :

  1. This is one of those things that you either believe or not, but it is one that I prefer to acknowledge might have happened, but I have no evidence either way for it. Having been brought up a Catholic, I like many others paid lip service to those things that we were doubtful over, going to mass for the feast, but not letting it get into the way of our other beliefs, centred on Jesus.

    I think that we have to be content with those things which while part of one denominations doctrine, which now as an Anglican, I don't need to subscribe too.

    Other Catholic beliefs I do accept, such as there being seven Sacraments, not because I have evidence to them, as a good Anglican, I should just profess to two that we have evidence for. But the Sacraments seem to me to be of a different order and have been celebrated as Sacraments for hundreds of generations, so I can't seem to dismiss them as just human constructs. Who am I do judge things, which allow God's grace into our lives through their efficacy. Confession is one such, having practised it as a child and young adult, I still do so as an Anglican, as do many others.

    So if the God Bearer was taken bodily into heaven, it would be lovely to have that belief, but I will remain as a not knowing and be content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was lovely and although I don't believe in the assumption of Mary it was powerful and true.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl