Sunday 7 February 2016

All Greek to Me

Just a quick footnote to Broderyk's sermon this morning.

Yes, "metamorphosis" is the Greek word corresponding to "transfiguration".

No, St Luke was not saying that Jesus had turned from a caterpillar into a butterfly. This is a terrible misunderstanding on many counts.

I hope that's clear. And that we never, ever have to hear that chorus again. If I were a fuzzy-wuzzy bear, my theological reasoning skills would be equally as fuzzy, if not wuzzy.  But neither as fuzzy, nor as wuzzy, as Broderyk's.

2 comments :

  1. Happy memories of the church floor giving way when we got to, 'if I were a kangaroo.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Pedant writes:
    Meta-morph-osis (Gk) = trans-form-ation (Lat) = shape-changing (Eng).

    But I don't think shape-changing sounds swfully liturgical. More like David Icke than Cranmer.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl