Saturday 30 June 2012

An Eyeful After the Trifle

Of course, Drayton's blaming me for all this. But I blame Pidge, one of our regular comments providers.

I thought we'd try to get on a little better with Drayton Parslow's congregation of Funambulist Baptists. After all, some of them might be well off, and in search of a less strict form of worship. One involving tea lights and doilies. With a souvenir shop. So I invited them all round for a quiet evening with a bit of a buffet, and a sing-song afterwards. What could be nicer?

Of course I knew about the Baptists' teetotal ways. But I didn't know about Billy and Bertie Jones's rather remarkable dessert addiction. Charlii didn't know about the teetotalism, but she does now how to make a cracking trifle. I knew about the trifle, but not being a great dessert-eater I didn't know about the sherry. Being life-long teetotallers, the Jones brothers don't have a great tolerance of alcohol. But they doo have a rather literalist view on life.

After tea, I suggested that we sing a few choruses, maybe starting with the song Pidge recommended - "When the Spirit of the Lord is Within my Heart, I will dance as David danced". You could say we'd put in place the conditions for the perfect storm.

Two naked Jones brothers dancing around the Dining Room. I tell you, I didn't know where to look for the best. Our evening ended very shortly after that - and Drayton's church has now banned trifle, and dancing. And over-literalism.

2 comments :

  1. It sounds very much like Shaker dancing described elsewhere or even Jiggling, which is more apt.

    More or less than an eyeful? Poor Drayton, he has a 'lot' to overwhelm him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can only take literalism so far and that was far too far. If told that women should be SILENT in church or any other accusation from a literalist, try asking sweetly if the questioner always greets 'the brethren with a holy kiss' You can guarantee he is so homophobic that even a hug would be grounds for a public confession.
    As for alcohol... I knew a lovely old fundamentalist lady who had signed the pledge but was noted for making the most potent of ginger beer.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl