Wednesday 28 December 2022

Lament for the "Thomas Hardy" Tree in Old St Pancras Churchyard

 A forking ash tree, quite upright, with stones around its base

 

When I was but a sapling in the morn of my life's day

An enterprising architect came down St Pancras way

He'd dreamed he'd draw fine churches, all with neo-Gothic flair

But wound up moving bodies in the smoggy London air.

The folk who hampered progress had to be raised from their sleep

And, reinterred - quite rev'rently - in Finchley's graveyard steep.

And Thomas Hardy, full of Wessex peasant-yeoman whim

And having also quite a share of neo-Gothic grim

He took away the stones which once remembered Cockney dead

And stacked them in a fan shape round my growing form instead.

 

As time went by I waxed in size and grew around the stones

remembering those poor commuted Midland Railway bones

and Hardy, back in Wessex, grew to his immortal fame

Though poets, being mortal, they all go to death the same

And so one day he came back up to London, loud and brash

But he was quiet - for just like me, he was now wholly ash.

But, mortals, know that death will bring down even mighty trees

Especially when prone to catching ash die-back disease*

No longer will I quiver in this Camden churchyard bare

Nor hiss when west winds whisper hints of Wessex heights so fair.

 


And so my shady life is o'er - but hearer, know this true

At least I wasn't cut down to make way for HS2.


(The Hardy Tree, 1865-2022)

 

* I don't think it did, but it's a a nice rhyme.

1 comment :

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl