Wednesday 19 February 2020

Upper-Class - Middle Class - Unskilled

Boris Johnson: I'm the Prime Minister. I blag along on the basis that I'm posh and remember a bit of Latin. And although I have no discernible use, I can get Dom to do all the thinking for me. And I earn £150,000, and get two houses plus I can throw Raab out if I want another love-nest. So I look down on her....

Priti Patel: I'm the Home Secretary. I like to bring in laws that would ban my own parents from ever moving to the UK. I can smirk and be vicious. And I earn £140,000 per year.  So I look down on him...

Peter Bone: I'm an MP. I talked the people in a constituency that depends on international logistics into voting for Brexit.  I earn £76,000. So I look down on him....

Marketing Manager: I spin up lines about "new paradigms" and "influencers". I don't know what they are. But I do earn £50,000. So I look down on her...

Social Media Influencer: I earn nothing. But I can scrape together a living from all the free tins of tomatoes and beans I get by running my website, "Tomatoes and Beans for Life". So I'm confused by him...

Polish Plumber: I can diagnose the problems in a Baxi boiler from 1996, wade in human waste to unblock a drain, or get my hand into a tiny gap to replace the ballcock in a space-saving loo. While talking in my third language. So I...

BJ, PP, PB, MM: Unskilled labour! Get out!


Want to support this blog? Want a good laugh? (or to shudder at death at any rate? Then here's two ways you can keep the Archdruid in doilies...
If you want someone to share the terrors of death while making you laugh, we have "A Hint of Death in the Morning Air" - 97 poems to make you wonder, laugh or shake your head sadly. At only £1 on Kindle. Or if you want to know what the people in the pews really think, and you prefer your words printed on paper, why not try "Writes of the Church"?  The letters to the Church magazine the vicar really didn't need.

2 comments :

  1. I wonder how many of us are unskilled according to the definition to be applied to migration into the UK for work.

    I have no formal academic education, albeit I have a Masters Level 7 qualification in Leadership and Management from a well respected organisation "The City and Guilds Institue" of London gained through a vocational route through the Armed Forces in a Career of 43 years, which took me from Private to Major. I led people and did a variety of jobs, which attracted membership of five different professional organisations which recognised those qualifications. I also studied academically for Reader Ministry, in a scheme which doesn't attract a degree, for four years. None of this matters to those who now lead our country, who would deny me any role if I were a potential migrant. Thankfully, I'm not in that position, have enough income from pensions to be enabled to volunteer my time and non-skills, which are hopefully, beneficial as pastoral care for others, and I can lead worship.

    All skills of no value to an economy, but skills which enables me to be beside those in need, in times of needing a listening ear and able to offer support and assistance in various ways, gained from my former life of service and this new life of service. I'm afraid that this nonsense has gone on long enough. I hope that it gets shot down on the basis of breaches of human rights, which places value on people, not so called skills.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl