Saturday 5 May 2012

Breakfast with Tom Jones

Obviously, to avoid the danger of having the community swamped by women in their 60s and 70s, we had to keep quiet about Tom Jones's visit to us. But it was very kind of him to sing at our sunrise service. And I'm glad to be able to share this record of the interview we were able to hold after the service in the Big House, when we all shared a buffet breakfast.

AE: So Tom, thanks for being here.

TJ: You know, it's a real pleasure. Many years ago I was fortunate enough to have breakfast with Elvis. That man really knew how to eat breakfast.

Hnaef: Indeed. And can we interest you in the buffet breakfast? The eggs come from the Community hens.

TJ: I was once with Elvis when we saw a chicken. "Tom," he said to me, "that's a Rhode Island Red." He really knew his chickens, did Elvis.

AE: He was a good singer. Obviously, a bit before my era. I've always loved Kirsty MacColl. It broke my heart when I heard she'd died. I was in Manchester at the time.

TJ: I went to Manchester once. Elvis wasn't there, of course. He never went to Manchester. The place was poorer for it, in my opinion.

Young Keith: Can I get you a little bit of toast, Tom?

TJ: "A little bit of toast". Now that was a novelty song of the 1970s. It was good - they held the notes, it was pretty tight. But if Elvis had sung it...

Hnaef: I'm afraid I've got to run, Tom. It's a trans-Atlantic archery school teacher exchange programme. I've got to catch a flight to Las Vegas so I've got to drive down to Heathrow now.

TJ: Las Vegas? Somebody once sung a song about that. Hang on a minute, let me try to remember...

1 comment :

  1. Just wondering, as long as he wasn't there for supper the night before......

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl