Monday 23 March 2020

The Ironies of Mass on Facebook


Kind of touching today, but a sign of the strange times in which we live.

I tuned in to a friend's lunchtime livestream of his church's daily Mass. Sad not to be there in one sense but then, let's face it, I wouldn't have been there if the church had been open. But there's probably less technically aware folk that do go along regularly who are now missing out, so I can be sad for them. But, you know, strange times.

Anyway, he's streaming it on Facebook. Which is, I expect, something that Mark Zuckerberg never foresaw when he started it all off. And just as the vicar's reading through the Eucharistic Prayer, the Facebook "Like" icon floated across the screen and skirted round the altar.

I don't know who pressed the "Like" at that moment.

But I'd hope it was God.


Want to support this blog? If you want to know what the people in the pews really think, why not try "Writes of the Church"?  The letters to the Church magazine the vicar really didn't need.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl