Thursday 22 October 2009

Burning Bibles, Burning Worlds

Now I think it's generally known that we in the Beaker People don't really "do" irony.  Likewise parody, satire and just plain sarcky-ness.  We don't get it and we don't approve.

Which is why we are struggling slightly.  This Book Burning Website is a big hit with all  the most intelligent evangelical Church of England websites.  But is the mind behind this website the dimmest most ludicrous fundamentalist?  Or a genius of parody?  We can't tell.  And now, consider what I saw linked from this, sane if godless, website - Steve Borthwick kindly links us to the Rapture Website that promises the end of the world is... well it did say 21 October  last time I looked, but I notice that they've removed reference to that date as well now, presumably because it is in the past.  But the thing that strikes me about the Book Burning Baptists and the Dodgy Rapture site, apart from utter theological barren-ness, is the colour scheme.  Do all really really mad fundamentalists have purple-yellow colour blindness?  Or are both these sites the work the same colour-blind fundamentalist?  Or of a very cunning atheist with a penchant for purple?  Possibly Professor Dawkins himself? Or a brilliant parodist?  We don't know.  

It's all too much for me.  Thankfully it's not long till Question Time.  I'm looking forward to listening to a bunch of intelligent, altruistic and well-balanced people discussing the issues of the day in a consensual spirit of mutual respect. 

2 comments :

  1. really helpful site to have ready for Nov 5th. I was wondering how to get my bonfire started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I bet you have the odd NIV laying around, as well, all ready.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl