Wednesday 3 February 2010

A better class of reader

As you may have noticed we've been in a bit of a "be kind to Richard Dawkins" mode lately.  It's partly because we have assessed his spiritual state from his last few outbursts and think, once he's got all that bile out, he may turn out to  be ripe for a conversion to Beaker spirituality.  A view of the world that says "Yeah, the world's bad, let's light a tea light" is probably just the thing the good Professor could do with in his declining years.  Gives one a lot of comfort as one ponders the ultimate reality that we will all have to face - whether or not there is anything behind that ultimate reality.
And then all that fuss broke out on Cranmer's blog, and I really felt sorry for Prof Dawkins.  Not for what he's said about Cranmer, obviously.  No, because his supporters were revealed in all their glory.  And what a bunch.  Full of knock-down arguments like "You believe in the sky-pixie, you do".  I tell you, I nearly lost my faith immediately.
Now you may not like what Richard Dawkins stands for.  You may think The God Delusion is an appalling, vain and pointless book that appeals only to people who already like Richard Dawkins (you may well be right).  But at least he employs some thought process.  The thought that these people hang out on his site all day sharing their views - the poor thing.  Imagine being a giant surrounded by the monopods of CS Lewis's Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  Must be like that.
Now I know some of the readers of the missives that emanate from here in Husborne Crawley- probably about 50% of them for indeed it is a blog of limited transmission - and I know of some of the others by your comments and links.  Some of you have a degree - some two or maybe even more.  Some in theology, some in the sciences - proper sciences like microbiology and chemistry and even economics.  Some have served with honour in the IT and Retail Industries.  Some have served with bravery and honour in the armed forces.  There are musicians. There are neo-pagans with a sense of humour.  There's even the odd atheist.  Not that kind of odd atheist, not the kind with an anorak and bad breath and no chance of a significant other, ever - I meant the "odd" as in occasional.  But those that comment from time to time cheer me up with  your amusing and intelligent contributions.  So thanks very much for the comments.  Makes it worthwhile.

4 comments :

  1. I am delighted to know that you have a better class of reader, and I hope that I am fortunate enough to be counted among that category.

    I must admit that the only degree that I have is the 3rd one, learned during many years of military service. Although for services rendered the MOD Gratefully awarded me a level 7 Qualification in Leadership and Management. To be honest, the Gold Watch would have had better Pawn value.

    As for conversion to Beaker folkism, I doubt that is on the cards, however, I am a solid convert to Beaker Folk Humour, which is so good a poking fun at some of the more stuffy things going on around here.

    I think that a new term "Dawkinism" should be coined for the good professor, it could even become a new religion - there are so many out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... am I included in the better class of reader category O worthy Archdruid???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally - Theology degree, "T" Level in Tea-Light Studies, Masters in wrapping giant head-scarves round altars... I'd have thought so! Definitely a better class.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl