Thursday 2 September 2010

A Prophet in his own County

It was Anonymous's true and sad comment on the ease with which Baptist ministers can often be removed that made me take a good look in the mirror this morning.

It is truly said that what congregations really want in a pastor, is a strong leader who agrees with them. And that although people will talk of their need for a prophecy, they don't really need a prophet.  They generally need someone who can raise the money to get the roof fixed (I talk of many English churches and chapels here - in America I am sure that godly prophecy can be found in every church).

And so I saw myself in the mirror this morning, looking an awful lot more like Moses than I did a couple of weeks ago. And reflecting - do the Frisby Baptists need a prophet just yet? Someone they could disagree with - and if more than 50% did so, they would be looking for a new prophet. Maybe not just yet. I must step more slowly. Maybe  their great need - at least for the moment - is of a solid and capable administrator.

And so, regretfully, I have shaved off my beard. I now look a lot less prophetic, but a lot more like that calm, solid pastor who is biding his time until the day for vision is come.

2 comments :

  1. Frisby will be a much poorer place spending another generation w/o a true prophet. It's no wonder there are so many lost w/o proper condemnation being pronounced on them by a self appointed prophet. I completely understand that it can't be done before the people are ready for it though. Will pray for the next generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, you've lost your prophet motive..

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl