Wednesday 21 October 2009

The Guinea Pig Folk Offer - a Reconsideration


On reflection, I may have been a little unprepared in my reaction to the offer yesterday from the Guinea Pig Folk of Stewartby to accept any groups of the Moon Gibbon Folk, on their own terms, into a special "Gibbon Folk of Stewartby" sub-sect.  The Moon Gibbon Folk will be allowed to continue to scream with fear at New Moon and Lunar Eclipses, and to use their Wee Moon Gibbon Worship Book (actually the Iona Wee Worship Book with the word "God" crossed out and "Moon Gibbon" written in its place in crayon).
Our relationship with the Guinea Pig Folk has not always been without its ups and downs.  You may remember that last year we accidentally ate their "gods" after our Peruvian visitor mistook them for tapas at a barbecue.  And a few years ago there was that awful event with the steel-toe-capped boots.  Followed by the accident when one of the guinea pigs ate the electronics of a Blackberry device and ended up in a shootout on Weymouth seafront.  But apart from those minor issues our dealings have always been cordial.


But when presented with the news of the GPF's offer last night, I should have taken longer to consider my response.  When  I said "Thank goodness for that.  With that bunch of trouble-makers moved safely to the ferret-fanciers I can get on with moving the Beaker Folk forward into the 9th Century BC.  And think of the money we'll save not paying their druids", what I really meant was "this is a big step forward in ecumenical relations.  I look forward to continuing to work with the Grand Guinea Pig and his furry followers, enriched by the common heritage of the Moon Gibbon People."  I also look forward to seeing the Moon Gibbon druids working out whether they can live in an environment where they'd be expected to keep the rules, and wondering how they'll keep their wives and families on the reduced wages.

I hope I have made myself opaque.

2 comments :

  1. Very opaque indeed. You can take that fake beard off now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, David. It was getting rather itchy.
    Meanwhile I notice that Bishop Alan has been addressing what appears to be a coincidentally similar matter.
    Bishop Alan on a Small Earthquake in Rome

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl