Sunday 5 February 2012

Burston's Beer-Tasting Notes - Blue Monkey "Ape Ale"

A fine tasting ale, this.

A pale beer with its strength belied by its pale yellow colour. However it's a remarkably hoppy beer - I'd say the brewery's description of it as having "moderate bitterness" is putting it mildly, if you will pardon the pun. The bitterness - clean, citrussy bitterness from hops that had enjoyable lives - is all over this delicious, light-tasting beer. But it's 5.5% alcohol - so be careful!

On the Grebbels scale I'd give it 4.5 Cardinals.

3 comments :

  1. Sounds great, where did you buy it from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, we of the Marston Vale Ale Trippers try to visit exciting stations within striking distance of Bedford or Bletchley stations, and then visit a local alehouse of note.
    The details seem a little hazy now, but checking my railway tickets from Sunday I see that our trip was to Kettering. In which case I am hazarding the guess that it must have been the Piper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't find any pubs around here that sell it; I guess there's always bottles, but it's not the same..

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl