Tuesday 30 July 2019

Lament for Standing Up All the Way to London

(A sequel to the Train Commuter's Psalm)

My heart sinketh within me
And my courage faileth.
My heart is as water, poured away
And my spirit shriveleth like a prune on the beach.
For I have climbed onto this train at Luton Airport Parkway
To find it is already full.
People from Wellinborough stand in the vestibules
The Ketteringites are standing in the aisles
While those from Market Harborough sit smugly.
"Aha," say the tribe of Snotta (that come from the great City of Lace)
"My annual fair may cost more than all the camels of Midian
"But at least I can always get a seat."
Hordes from the back of the train wander to the front
And those from the front to the back
To find a seat. But there is none.
Not even one.
In vain do I look for my reserved seat
But the reservation system is out of order.
I wait for an apology but it does not come
Even the tannoy must be out of order.
How long, O Guard?
How long will we be stuck at a signal just south of Belsize Tunnel?
So shall I lean here on the bar
And rest my weary bones
And avoid that bloke that keeps nudging into me
And try to not get too close to the kid with the snotty nose
And gaze at the trolley
(Which moveth not for all the tribes of Wellingborough and Kettering are in the way).
And reflect it's a bit early for a gin.
Though it may not be by the time we make St Pancras.

1 comment :

  1. I well remember the commute into London, which ceased for me when I changed jobs in 2009, than I had to commute from North Kent across the River to Ilford. A breeze by car, when the Woolwich Ferry was running,l but a nightmare when I had to battle the Blackwall Tunnel.

    Later, I changed jobs again, and commuted to Canterbury, which was a pleasant drive down the A2, most of the time, until an accident or other delay, when it again became a nightmare. And this job involved travel to other work locations in the South East as far away as Portsmouth and Southampton, which meant the dreaded M25!!

    I was glad when I retired, and now commute on foot most of the time to Church or other local delights. We have a good local bus service and a Bus Pass enables that, and normally I can get a seat, but you risk it travelling after the school children have had their way (morning or afternoon) with sticky seats and worse. Walking than becomes a preferred option.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl