Sunday 15 November 2009

Gender-inclusive language

I note with interest Clayboy's comments on the use of Gender-Inclusive Language.  My view regarding the Book of Common Prayer and its "Traditional" language successors, to which I presume he is generally referring, is simple.  When the context for masculine use is generally positive - "for us men and for our salvation..." - this would clearly refer to all people, the "man" being used in the sense that "anthropos" is.  On the other hand, when it is something more like "that he may turn from his wickedness" - clearly that is referring to a male.  This is the tradition in all the communities of the Beakers.

3 comments :

  1. :-)so glad that this is understood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I am glad that the Archdruid is of the more humourous persuasion in this blog. Otherwise I would have to dismantle the bollocks argument in his reference to the little article on 'anthropos'.
    Cheerfully,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holger, I think you've missed one of the obvious cornerstones of Beaker theology here. You couldn't demolish my argument (which interestingly you have referred to in a non-gender inclusive way) because my argument, as in all Beaker theology, depends upon my feelings towards the subject, not any objective or historical reality.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl