Tuesday 3 November 2009

All Soul's Commemoration

Well I'm pleased to say that the All Soul's Day Commemoration is finally over.

We thought it would be nice to co-incide with the Full Moon by starting at moonrise, assuming the Occasion would just take the normal half an hour or so, as the name of each Departed Beloved was read and a tea light lit in their honour.

But as I reached the end of the list I was expecting to read, I noticed that somebody - I suspect Young Keith - had stapled a fairly sizeable chunk of the 1891 Census for Islington onto the back.

What was I to do? There's no denying that all the people on that list were among the Departed. Some were probably ancestors of Beaker Folk present. So I just kept going.

Some time around midnight we started to run out of tea lights, but Burton kindly nipped over to Tesco's at Kingston and bought in a couple of pallets.

Just now, as we filed away from the Moot House tired and dizzy from lack of sleep, someone registered a complaint. "Don't you realise?" he asked, "It's not meant to be about Them. It's meant to be about Us."

I must reflect.

2 comments :

  1. I am concerned that you pruchsed tea lights from Tescos, some of them may have been scented, and surely that isn't right...

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl