Saturday 30 January 2010

Anniversary of the Execution of Charles I, 1649

Dress code: Extra vests. 

Archdruid: Charles I.  King, Saint and Martyr?  Or megalomaniac with a Divine Right hang-up?
All:  Religious Megalomaniac?  We've already got one of those. 

The Archdruid invades the P[l]otting Shed. 
Archdruid: OK, hand over Drayton Parslow.

Speaker of the Shed: "May it please your Archdruidness, I have neither eyes to see nor tongue to speak in this place but as the House is pleased to direct me, whose servant I am here."


Archdruid: OK cut it out, it's a shed, not a house.  I've got a Slazenger V400 and I know how to use it.


Speaker of the Shed: OK, he's gone back to his room for a cup of team.

Archdruid:  A man who tried to impose religious tolerance at the point of a sword.  A man with Divine Right, killed by men who thought God was on their side.
All:  OK, so whose side was God on?
Archdruid: Search me.  Which ones were the Cavaliers?
Marston:  Ooh, I used to have one of those.  Or was it a Chevette?

Archdruid: You know what I'd do with Cromwell and Ireton?  I'd string 'em up.  It's the only language they understand.  Even though they're dead...
All:  They did.  Even though they were.
Archdruid:  Oh, OK.  Creepy.  Well, a plague on Ireton, anyway.
All: Yes, he got that as well.
Archdruid: Then I think we're starting to see whose side God was on.
All: Pass the frilly cuffs and wigs, Eileen!

All adjourn to the Banqueting House (formerly the Dining Room) for breakfast. 

Charles I -  King, Saint and Martyr?  Or megalomaniac with a Divine Right hang-up?  You decide.  Calls cost 4 groats.  Lines closed in 1660, but you may still be charged.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl