Thursday 8 March 2012

Situation Vacant

I sometimes think that predictive text and spell-checkers should be made illegal.

I've been feeling the pressure of producing these occasional missives from our little community. And I thought maybe it was time to get in a little help. I figured if we had a Community Satirist I could come up with the germ or, if you will, nugget of the posting. And the Satirist could then fill in the fine detail - plot, characterisation, jokes, research.

So I asked Kirby Muxloe, our Administrative Assistant, to write up the job ad for the "Mistletoe Bough" and the "Stukeley Advertiser and Avebury Chronicle". And, having the busy life of a working Archdruid, I left it to her to carry out the pre-screening of the CVs for me.

There's currently 12 sitarists sitting in the corridor awaiting the Selection Day. The noise is deafening, and not terribly tuneful - as you'd expect from a dozen out-of-work players of ethnic instruments.

It just goes to show. If you want something doing right, don't get a Beaker Person to do it.

6 comments :

  1. Could have been worse: you might have had a corridor full of Satanists instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the basis of a music ensemble there. You could put on Beaker concerts countrywide.

    Think of the money making opportunities. Particularly as they will be volunteers, not employee's, paying their own expenses for the privilege of playing with the Beaker Folk famous name on their T Shirts.

    And by youtubing their performances, you can get advertising income as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You think you've got problems...a medieval wall painting in Derbyshire of Titivillus, the demon responsible for typos has a speech bubble with my name on it,
    http://www.paintedchurch.org/melbourn.htm
    Talk about predestination.
    (Of course it could be a warning against idle gossip but I'm not admitting to that.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pidge, 'tis terrible rough. Considered suing?

    Pastor, you're right. We should count our blessings.

    And UKViewer, we already have a three-string ukulele, a bhodran, a bodhran, a bodrhan and several ocarinas. What would we need a sitar for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like this post,"the pressure of producing". I've seen it before, slowly but surely the posts become less frequent and then one horrible day you arrive at the blog of the day, to read: "Last Post" - "Sorry all you loyal fans but I have more important things to do elsewhere, so find something else to do yourselves, like starting your own blog. I simply can't be bloggered". And there's another source of daily comfort and distraction from the cares and woes of this life of tears, down the tubes.
    And no I'm not a robot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a robot, so I would miss the Beaker Folk, and the Moot house. They sound like my kind of people. (Slightly odd.)

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl