Tuesday 2 November 2010

Let's Face the Music and Liturgical Dance - The Pogo

It's been a long time since the Earth Hour Worship, and some Beaker People had been missing a good Liturgical Dance. Not me, I've seen enough overweight matrons of a certain age hopping about while wearing A-line skirts over leotards to last me a long time. And ribbons, tambourines, impressions of Miriam are likewise things I can do with out. Unless it's rejoicing about the unexpected demise of bitter enemies, in which case I'm with Miriam that far at least.

But Marston had yet another idea. He wanted to do a liturgical pogo. Fair enough, we've had moonstomps which worked very well.  And pogo dancing, although dated, has a certain attraction.

But I never realised he actually meant on pogo sticks. Liturgical dancing by eight overweight blokes on pogo sticks is just stupid. The bruises caused to people sitting nearest the sacred space were quite severe. And those sustained by Marston and his mates as they fell off were worse. Although the thing that really worried us was when Marston went purple and started to have palpitations after 10 minutes of manic pogo-ing.

But I guess the thing that really put the tin lid on it for me, was that it just wasn't the greatest way to illuminate the finer points of Palestrina's Lamentations.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl