Tuesday 28 June 2011

Forgive and forget

Well, despite our pronunciatory differences, the Archdruid entrusted me with an important mission today.  She told me that last time she rescued Young Keith from one of the trees that he is so wont to climb (and sometimes to fall out of), she noticed that there might be truffles near the base.  Today, she noted, would be a perfect day to go rooting for them.  As we have neither a truffle pig nor a truffle hound in the Community, she had decided to nominate me to the special honour of searching for them.

I had not known that there is a special uniform for truffle hunting near the bases of trees, but it turns out that there is and it is made almost entirely of tin foil, and includes a metal hat.  I was ready to go out first thing this morning, but the Archdruid kept delaying me, muttering something about how inaccurate the weather forecast was, though what relevance that had, I don't know.

In fact, she sent me out to search around the trees in my special truffle-hunting tinfoil suit and metal hat just as the thunderstorm took hold, but would brook no argument when I questioned the wisdom of the course of action, so I spent an hour searching for truffles as the lightning struck various trees, shrubs and hillocks near by.  It was quite exhilarating, and the hair on the arms stood up on end.  As, in fact, did the hair on my head, underneath the metal hat.

I only realised after I got back that I don't even really know what truffles look like.  I'd assumed they look like those lovely chocolate truffles that Mrs Hnaef likes so much, but it turns out that the Archdruid was less than pleased with the collection of owl pellets that I brought back.  Drayton, however, was ecstatic, so all's well that ends well.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl