Friday 24 June 2011

Hate everyone

I was puzzling over those words of Jesus where he says that you have to love him more than parents and children - and presumably everybody else - or you're not worthy of him.

And I thought that's fair enough. Easy. If you, like me, are surrounded by the most unutterable numpties how could you not find it easy to love Jesus more? I mean, just last week Erewash managed to Blu-tak his own hand to the table while trying to put up some posters advertising the 'Alpha Curse' he was planning to run. Loving the God-man who only comes to earth once or twice in the whole of history and, being perfect, never once had to be separated from a stack of service sheets after an accident with a stapler - that's easy by comparison.

But I've read a bit wider than just that one  verse in Matt 10 now. And it's startting to worry me. Even that bit about lifting your own cross seems to suggest that whatever level I consign the Beaker People to in my affections, I might have to put myself there. And the idea of loving neighbours and giving people cups of water and giving stuff away for the poor?

Is it just me, or is there an idea there that it's all relative. And worse, that if you love Jesus then you may find that the way you see others may be dragged upwards towards a love for him, rather than being pushed downwards by comparison?

Enough of such troubling thoughts.  Hnaef tells me that Digbreath won't walk across the fields to Aspley for some milk, because there may be a bull in the field. I'm just off to "encourage" him with the Slazenger.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl