Saturday 18 June 2011

The Power of the Press

Against all my warnings, they've all got really bad colds this morning.

I said - the so-called "drought" was just a media invention. The Marketing departments in Water companies have to invent them occasionally, or we forget they exist and just moan that the price of water is so high. And it's been about 6 weeks with reduced rainfall. The desertification of Mid Beds isn't going to happen just yet. And they pointed out the sand on the ground and said "Look! Desert!" And I said "Yes - in the Jurassic. Now get a grip."

And so when it started raining, the rain dances started. They said, "Can't take a chance. Want to encourage it." And I said, "That's Sympathetic Magic. Which is An Offence Unto the Lord." So they called it "Thanksgiving". Which made it officially All Right.

And last night it poured and poured. And they insisted they were Thanksgiving. I called it madness. But they danced out there anyway.

And so this morning they've all got even worse colds. They wouldn't listen. And now they just want to know why I've no sympathy. You can't win.

So if you'll excuse me, I've forty cups of Lemsip to make. But don't think I feel sorry for them.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl