Sunday 18 December 2016

British Oaths for British People

It has been suggested that we need a "British values oath" for public servants.

Can I suggest we just make them sing the first verse of "I Vow to Thee, My Country"?

Its exaltation of one's country above all other earthly things - human love, truth, justice, freedom, for instance - seem to fit into the modern populist patriotism quite well. Why would you need any of those when you've got British Values? Which should mean democracy, sense of humour and self-deprecation. But these days probably means hatred of foreigners and a general sense of grievance.

6 comments :

  1. Do you mean the middle verse, the one that begins "I vow to thee"?

    Not inflicting oaths on people would make a great British value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hymn chosen by the late Diana, Princess of Wales, to be sung at her wedding. Not a good omen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a conscientious objection to singing the 1st verse of 'O vow to thee my country'. If I refuse will I be imprisoned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are, I hope I'll be allowed to share a cell with you.

      Delete
  4. "Dame Louise said some sections of society did not accept British values such as tolerance." It seems that she is one of those people who can tolerate anything except intolerance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Solemn League and Covenant?

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl